Monday, June 22, 2009

light show.

I used to be terrified of storms. 
I had a valid reason for it -- when I was seven, my house was hit by what was probably a tornado that hadn't fully descended. After that night, any cloud cover I saw swelled in my mind to something monstrous, and I spent a lot of rainy evenings following my dad around the house and quite a few nights dragging my blanket and pillow out in front of their bedroom door to sleep any time I heard thunder.
Now, I think storms are glorious, awesome examples of God's power. This is a good paradigm shift for me, because there's no shortage of rocky weather in southern Illinois. 
Tonight, my older sister called me while I was at small group, telling me to grab my camera because there was a gorgeous cloud being lit up by lightning from within. 
I was too late to catch that particular system -- at least as the late evening light illuminated it perfectly -- but I did run home, grab Audra, and then drive out to a reservoir near town, where we stayed for about ten minutes, me shooting and both of us enjoying the light show.
I don't have a tripod (it's on my list), so I used my shoes to steady the camera on a couple of the shots...and almost all of them have crooked horizons. They're not excellent examples of weather photography by any means, either.
But I can honestly say that I look forward to the storms coming this summer, and I already have a couple locations in mind to shoot from the next time I see a front rolling in.
And maybe next time I'll have a tripod.





3 comments:

  1. I like the lines leading in from both sides on the first photo, creates real depth. The other pics are good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first is my favorite. I can relate; finding a good place to shoot storms without getting a) electrocuted, b) your camera wet and c) run over is an ongoing challenge for me, but I think I've finally found a few suitable spots. Maybe I'll run into you the next time a storm rolls through!

    ReplyDelete